Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Keeping with tradition


Food, food, food makes the world go ‘round.
Food is a vital expression of cultures and personalities, so why not blog about it?
I do not have a sophisticated taste in food, I like almost anything as long as it’s made right.  My favorite meal is the Italian dish, Olio olio, which is garlic sautéed in olive oil drizzled over pasta.  Boring? Maybe. But, there is just nothing like it.  I am not an accomplished cook, so I do not exactly have the right to critically judge food.  But critically judge food I do! The only thing that I have successfully mastered is Mac and cheese with the perfect proportions of goat and cheddar cheese, so that when you eat it you know that you are exactly where you want to be. 

Mommy always told me to eat my breakfast.  The most important meal of the day! Brain food! There is a commercial that dramatically portrays what happens when you don’t eat breakfast.  It portrays a kid attempting to walk up stairs with an oversized backpack, and toppling over.  I cannot say that how I function depends entirely on my eating breakfast, but I can relate with this fallen kid in that my day is always much better with that initial burst of flavor to start.  I agree with the saying I am what I eat in that food can seriously alter my mood, and that in being a messy eater, about half of whatever I am eating usually ends up artistically displayed on my shirt.

If I am going to keep up with any of my mother’s advice in my freshman year of college, it is that I will eat breakfast.  I would like to learn to cook, to learn to make meals that do not taste good solely because of the enormous amounts of cheese they contain.  Being a freshman in college, there are not many ways for me to expand my cooking expertise.  But there is an egg cooking station.  Which is a flat stovetop that comes equipped with cartons of eggs, and many toppings.  I want to eggsperiment and find the perfect omelet, the perfect start to a day.  My first eggsperiment was not very daring, I kept it quite traditional.  It contained cheddar cheese, green and red peppers and ham, but damn was it delicious! After a few bites, it had counteracted my sleepless night, restored my body and prepared me to tackle a day of heavy reading and writing.  Much of this can probably be attributed to the three cups of coffee that accompanied my eggs, but regardless I felt invincible! The only thing left for me to do was to splash some coffee on my dress, and I was ready to go.  

2 comments:

  1. Love the Blog Gaby. Reminds me of Julia and Julia except its better because it has to do with eggs.

    ReplyDelete